The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) is responsible for administering the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act. This Act requires that states and territories allow U.S. citizens to register and vote absentee in elections for Federal Office if they meet the following criteria.
Citizens eligible to vote absentee include:
- Members of the Uniformed Services (including Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard)
- Merchant Marine
- Eligible family members of the above
- Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Service, and Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- U.S. citizens employed by the Federal Government residing outside the U.S.
- All other private U.S. citizens residing outside the U.S.
Click here to register for voting and/or request a ballot. Note that in-person voting or on-site registration CANNOT be conducted at the embassy.
Please visit the FVAP website for further information and answers to most frequently asked questions about absentee voting.