Opportunities For Alumni
The U.S. Embassy in Riga sponsors a variety of international exchange programs each year, in conjunction with the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). These exchanges are designed to enhance mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and Latvia. The Department of State is committed to supporting alumni by providing resources that will help them to build upon their exchange experiences.
Among the more than 1,000,000 others who are also alumni of an ECA-sponsored program are 47 Nobel Laureates, thousands of cabinet-level ministers and more than 300 current and former chiefs of state or heads of government. Among the more than 500 Latvian alumni are current ministers of defense, economics and transportation as well as Ambassadors, journalists, teachers, academics and many other outstanding professionals.
Who is an alumnus/alumna?
You are an alumnus/alumna of a U.S. government exchange program if you have participated in one of the following:
- International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP)
- Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program
- Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program
- Study United States Institutes (SUSI)
- Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program (TEA)
- Voluntary Visitor Program (VOLVIS)
- Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellows Summer Institute (BFTF)
- Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program (Humphrey)
- Edmund Muskie Graduate Fellowships Program (Muskie)
- Young Leaders Dialogue with America (YLDP)
- Young Leaders Dialogue with America Prague Conference
- Baltic Youth Leadership Program
- Holocaust Education Program (AHO)
What opportunities do alumni from Latvia have?
- Grant and funding opportunities for alumni projects
- Access to the Global Community for Alumni (see information below)
- Invitations to receptions, roundtables, meetings and other Embassy events
- Participation in Embassy projects as an expert, volunteer, selection committee member etc.
- Participate in our new newsletter for alumni from Latvia and read about other Latvian alumni in Latvian State Alumni Newsletter
What is the Online Global Community for Alumni?
State Alumni is the official website for more than 1,000,000 alumni of exchange programs sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Interactive, dynamic and password-protected, alumni.state.gov offers alumni from U.S. government-sponsored exchange programs a place to:
- Network globally with other alumni
- Find grant and funding opportunities worth more than $33 billion
- Access more than 20,000 free periodicals, newspapers and more
- Find the latest research in your field, plus jobs and career resources
- Participate in "Q&A Live" discussions with experts
- Share your experience with a global audience
- Read alumni success stories, perspectives and ideas
- Stay involved through a local alumni association
All alumni are invited to register for the site by clicking “Join Now.” All members are verified as alumni of a U.S. government-sponsored exchange program before receiving full access.
To access the State Alumni global community, please click on the link below. https://alumni.state.gov