The U.S. Embassy Riga’s Small Grants Program was initiated as a flexible mechanism to enable the US Embassy to support initiatives that contribute to more open and competitive political and economic systems and the protection of human rights. The Embassy adheres to U.S. Government rules and regulations pertaining to grants administration. Questions related to US Embassy Riga’s Small Grants Program may be referred to the Embassy’s Public Affairs Section at email@example.com or +371 6710 7109.
Applications must be submitted in English.
A. Program Summary
- The implementing office at the Embassy is the Public Affairs Section (PAS), which is under the authority of the Ambassador.
- The Ambassador may choose whether to review and approve grant requests.
- Grants are aimed primarily at Latvian NGOs. Grants are awarded on the basis of a determination of need by the PAS staff.
- Funds are disbursed by the Public Affairs Officer or other public diplomacy grants officer.
B. Proposal Guidelines
- The Embassy may award grants to Latvian non-profit organizations and individuals.
- Third country organizations and individuals are not eligible for grants
- Grants are normally made on a one-time basis. A repeat grant to a particular organization may be issued if post determines the activity advances a clearly defined priority objective.
- Grants should support initiatives such as promotion of civil society; free flow of information (including support for independent media); transparency in government; public education and advocacy; association building; rule of law and legal reform; conflict resolution; human rights; civic education; environment; market economy; anti-trafficking and anti-corruption awareness campaigns and training; ethnic, minority, and women’s equality, and art and culture.
- Grants may not be used for partisan political activity. However, public education, get-out-the-vote, election monitoring and other non-partisan election activities may be supported.
- Grants may be used to promote non-discrimination and tolerance for disadvantaged minorities, but should not be used to promote the particular agenda of a specific group, practice, or lifestyle over any other. Close attention should be given to applications addressing tolerance and human rights (focusing on race, ethnicity, gender, religion, or sexual orientation), volunteerism, and trafficking in persons. Before awarding any grant related to these issues, Embassy staff must brief grantees on the distinction between support for human rights and our inability to advocate for a specific lifestyle or the views of any specific organization.
Allowable Budget Items:
- Grants should not provide for long-term infrastructure needs that are not sustainable once grant funds are depleted.
- Salaries, overhead, equipment, and other administrative expenses are allowable only as they relate to specific project activities. Salary or honoraria should be listed according to rate of pay and percentage of time spent on program-related activities.
- Funds for representational events should not be more than 10% of the total project budget.
C. Application Process
- Proposals may be submitted directly to Public Affairs Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to US Embassy, Samnera Velsa 1, Riga, LV-1510.
- Review of grant proposals is carried out by PAS. The purpose of the review is to ensure compliance with program parameters and to verify that budgets are accurate and allowable.
- Grant proposals do not need to follow any particular length or format but should include the following information:
- Grantee Information
- Name of Grantee (organization or individual), address, contact information
- Director of Project and/or Organization
- Background of Grantee
- Project Title
- Project Description and Purpose
- Project Dates
- Amount Requested
- Budget Breakdown
- Budgets may be calculated in Latvian Lats or U.S. dollars (total should be rounded to the nearest Lat or dollar).
- For your convenience we have created a fillable PDF form (on the top right of the page) that we recommend to download on your PC, fill in, and send to the above e-mail address as an attachment along with your more detailed budget spreadsheet.
- Use this link to download a comprehensive form for approved grants SF424: (PDF 30,3 kb)
Instructions for filling in the forms
- Save the PDF file to your desktop by choosing "Download"
- Open it using Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Fill in all fields
- Choose "Save As" from the top left File menu to save the filled-in PDF file on your desktop
- Attach the filled-in and saved PDF file to your e-mail and send it to email@example.com
- You are done! We will get back to you as soon as possible.