Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
List of Documents which DV Lottery Winners Must Prepare


Complete form DS-260 Online Immigrant Visa Application. To access DS-260, you will need to enter your DV visa case number. A separate form is required for each visa applicant.

After submitting Form DS-260 online, you must print the confirmation page and bring it to your interview. You can access and print the confirmation page any time after you complete your DS-260 application.

You can read more about the form and how to complete it on the U.S. Department of State website at

Important note:

  • If your family circumstances have changed after you entered the lottery, for example, if you have gotten married or had a child, you will need to add your new family members to your case. (“Family member” refers to a spouse and/or unmarried children who had not reached age 21 before you entered the lottery.)
  • If you had a spouse or children prior to submitting your original entry, but you did not include them on your original entry form, then your case will be disqualified at the time of your visa interview. Neither you, nor any of your family members will receive visas. For more information, see the DV Instructions.


Prepare all required documents per the list below for submitting to the Embassy at the time of your visa interview. Please do NOT send any of the documents listed below to the KCC.

  • PASSPORTS: Your passport must be valid for travel to the United States and must have at least six months validity beyond the issuance date of your visa. Each visa applicant, regardless of age, must present their own passport.
  • BIRTH CERTIFICATES: each applicant's original birth certificate and one copy is required. If a visa applicant is an adopted child, they must submit a certified copy of their final adoption decree.

    UNOBTAINABLE BIRTH CERTIFICATE: In rare cases, it may be impossible to obtain a birth certificate, for example, when official records have been destroyed or when governments are unable or unwilling to issue a certificate. In such cases, you should obtain a statement to that effect from the civil registrar's office and proceed to obtain secondary evidence of birth. A baptismal certificate may be submitted for consideration, if baptism of the child took place shortly after the child’s birth. The certificate must contain the child’s date of birth, place of birth and information concerning parentage. Should a baptismal certificate be unobtainable, a close relative, preferably the applicant's mother, should prepare a notary certified statement giving the child’s date of birth, place of birth, the names of both parents, and the maiden name of the mother.
  • MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES/MARRIAGE TERMINATION RECORDS: Married persons are required to submit their marriage certificate and one copy of it, as well as proof of the termination of any previous marriages (original documents and one copy), i.e., spouse's death certificate, final divorce decree, marriage annulment, or alike).
  • OTHER DOCUMENTS REFLECTING NAME CHANGE: You must present additional evidence from archives or courts, if the above listed ones do not reflect all name changes you have had in the past. For example, you changed your birth name to married name, and back to your birth name after a divorce - you must present records from archives confirming the name change at the time of marriage if the divorce documents do not contain that information.
  • PHOTOGRAPH: One (1) color full-face photograph for each applicant, regardless of age. Dimensions - 5 x 5 cm. The photograph must be current (i.e. taken within the last six months). The image must be sharp and correctly exposed. See samples here:
  • EVIDENCE OF REQUIRED EDUCATION OR WORK EXPERIENCE: The principal applicant must submit a certified copy of a school diploma confirming successful completion of secondary or higher education; OR documentary evidence of two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience to perform. Only the principal applicant is subject to this requirement. The U.S. Department of Labor’s O*Net OnLine database will be used to determine qualifying work experience. Please check DV Lottery instructions for more information
  • POLICE CERTIFICATES: Each visa applicant at least 16 years of age, must submit an original police certificate:

    • from the police authorities of the applicant's country of current residence if the applicant has resided there for at least six months after attaining the age of sixteen;
    • from the police authorities of all other countries, except the United States, where the applicant has resided for at least one year after attaining the age of sixteen;
    • from the police authorities of any country where the applicant had been arrested for any reason, regardless of how long he or she lived there. 

    Information about obtaining police certificates from specific countries can be found on the U.S. State Department website: You don't need to submit a police certificate only if the Department of State website states that the document is unobtainable from a specific country. Please click on the link for instructions for obtaining a police certificate in Latvia (PDF - 284 kb).

    Police clearance letters are valid for 12 months from the date of issuance. You are not required to renew a police clearance letter from your previous country of residence if you have not travelled to that country after the date of the issuance of such letter.

  • COURT AND PRISON RECORDS: Persons who have been convicted of a crime must submit all court records and any prison record, regardless of whether they may have subsequently benefited from an amnesty, pardon, or other act of clemency. Please note that all court and prison records must be translated into English.
  • MILITARY RECORDS: A certified copy of any military service record, if applicable and obtainable, is required. Information about obtaining military records from specific countries can be found on the U.S. State Department website:
  • DEPORTATION PAPERS: Visa applicants who have requested an extension of stay or a change of status while in the U.S, or who have been deported from the United States, must present the applicable documentary evidence.
  • ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS: Additionally, visa applicants must be prepared to present the originals of all civil documents. They will be returned to you after the visa interview.
  • TRANSLATIONS: All documents prepared for submission, which are not in English or Latvian, must be accompanied by notary-certified English translations. Translations of all court decisions into English are mandatory if the originals are in any other language (even Latvian).
  • RESULTS of medical examination.


You will be required to pay a non-refundable visa application fee. The fee is 330 USD per person. This payment must be made at the embassy on the day of your interview in cash or by credit card. You cannot pay at any other time.

Adobe Reader

  • Adobe Reader
    Adobe Reader
    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.